Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Gearing Up for Spring

My wife is going to kill me when she finds out I've spent over $750 at Bass Pro Shops this year. What the hell, you only live once right? Fishing is my passion, and everything is so expensive to buy locally - just look at all the money I saved! Yeah, right... She'll never see it that way.

I finally broke down and bought a quality bait cast reel. I blogged last year about the first one I bought from the Osan guy and ended up throwing it in the middle of the lake. The second one I bought at E-mart was made by Banax and it held up pretty good, for the inexpensive (cheap) reel that it is.


Here's the reel I bought. I hope it works as good as it looks. I've heard from Quantum users and they swear by them. I plan to mate it with a Saint Croix 6.6' Medium-action trigger rod. It's got 7 ball bearings, infinity drag control with 9 weights blah blah blah... A reel that catches fishermen.

I also bought enough spinner-baits, jigs, swim and crank baits to last me well into next season, and of course a new soft-box to hold everything. Woo-Hoo! Christmas in April!

8 Comments:

Blogger jasonR said...

test

11:24 PM  
Blogger jasonR said...

Nice reel! I just put in a small order as well, seeing I have 38 days left. Just the basics like dropshot gear, fresh line, etc. Im headed to Gosam this saturday in the rain with a couple bass fishing newbies, I have a new bait I need to show these bass. I need to pick up a cheapie spinning reel, I hear there is a small tackle shop outside the gate here at osan, so I am going to go look for it.
J

11:26 PM  
Blogger Gar said...

Jason, You can also get decent and affordable reels at E-Mart off old Highway 1 heading towards Pyeongtaek. Look for it on the left about a mile or so after you pass the Purina factory. They have a small assortment of bass lures and plastics etc. as well.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Nomad said...

Gar,

I see you changed comments back to where anyone can leave one. I bought one of those bait casting reels - my first ever - and I gave up on it within 15 minutes. LOL, it never made it out of the house because I was practicing, trying to learn how to cast and it kept snarling up on me. I've always heard once you learn how to use them they're great but for now I'll stick with my spinning reels.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Gar said...

I'll buy it off you :)
Weapon of choice for me.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Nomad said...

Gar,

I'll trade you for a ham sandwich :)

Seriously - if you want it, it's yours. It's just taking up space at my house.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Gar said...

Nomad,
Bring it along the next time we get together. No point in it not getting used.

By the way, I'm having a housewarming on Saturday, April 29th if you're interested. Moved to a house with a private yard. Not sure about the ham, but I'll probably have a couple of smoked pork butts for sure.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Gar said...

The reel in the pic came in last night and it's every bit as nice as I had hoped. It's so pretty its a shame I'm probably going to drop it in the water, drag it through the mud and scratch it up, but that's fishing. I can't wait to try it out this weekend, even if I have to wait for the St Croix rod.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home